tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 10 17:35:23 2009

Re: Yet another newbie!

Tracy Canfield ([email protected])

A quick question about Swedish, because it might get you a better answer
about Klingon:
Would you say these two Swedish words are pronounced differently?
Specifically the s sound?

lössen
lösen

2009/11/10 <[email protected]>

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
>
> tlhIngan Hol vIghoj vIneH!
>
> Here is another Swedish newbie. Thing is, there was a program on Swedish
> television about a month ago about artificial languages, and in particular
> Klingon. Interviews with Marc Okrand, Arika Okrent and notable Swedish
> Klingonists. And I got caught.
>
> So I have gotten KLD and downloaded {pojwI'}, which I'm using together
> with a flashcard program called Anki (tip to Jacob!) which is nice since
> you get to make your own cards and it uses a spaced repetition algorithm
> to show them to you suitably often.
>
> I wonder if anyone have good ideas for pronounciation training; I have
> used the descriptions, the recorded phrases at the KLI site and the Forvo
> site. And of course, I listen to {taH pagh taHbe'} over and over again ;-)
> But beyond that?
>
> One thing in particular that puzzles me is how {Duy'a'} and {Duy''a'}
> differ in sound, that is, how to say {''}.
>
> Also, I wonder about using locative in a noun phrase, as in {bIQDaq veng},
> my attempt at translating "the city on the water" (yes, I know a true
> Klingon would not associate his city with water...). Is that ok?
>
> {jIlabta'}
>
>    {buSwI'}
>    aka kff

Back to archive top level