tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 31 13:50:38 2009

-qa' with -taH

Brent Kesler ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

>From the pulsar thread:

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
> My impression is that {-qa'} means resumption (after a pause), not so much
> repetition.

That's how I read {-qa'} too, but I think there's an argument for
thinking of {-qa'} + {-taH} as repetition.

--- TKD 42: ---
The meaning of {-taH} can be seen clearly by comparing the following
two commands:

- {yIjun} execute an evasive maneuver!
- {yIjuntaH} take evasive action!

In the first case, the maneuver is to be executed only once. In the
second, a series of evasive maneuvers is to be executed -- the action
is to be continuous.
--- end quote ---

Consider:
- {yIjunqa'} execute an evasive maneuver again!
- {yIjunqa'taH} keep executing evasive maneuvers again! (?)

Or this menacing sentence:
{qaHoHta'DI', qayInqa'moH, qaHoHqa'meH ... qaHoHqa'taHmeH}

But then we get some ambiguity with {-vIS}:
{qaHoHqa'taHvIS, bIjachqu'taH}

Does this mean "You will scream while I'm killing you once again" or
"You will scream while I kill you over and over again"? If we accept
{-qa'taH} as denoting repetition, it will be ambiguous.

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM, qa'vaj <[email protected]> wrote:
> {wovqa'taHbogh Hov} probably means "star that is in the process of shining again."

Maybe I'm just getting caught up on the English gloss, but I'd
translate "star that is in the process of shining again" as
{wovqa'lI'bogh Hov}. The phrase "in the process of" suggests that the
star is beginning to shine again, but hasn't quite made it yet. That's
why I prefer {-lI'} in this case (though I don't think that's what
you're trying to say).

bI'reng

Back to archive top level