tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 17 14:49:03 2009

Re: recent boing boing post and Unicode

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On May 17, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Terrence Donnelly wrote:

> All those are more philosophical problems than technical. Once
> you've decided what resources your target font(s) provide and what
> you'll use to replace the various punctuation marks, substitution
> is easy, easier than dealing with the digraphs.

It can be harder in some cases, depending on the philosophical
choice.  For example, quotation marks are not necessarily context-
free.  If you decide to replace "word" with «mu'» you have the
problem of determining which guillemet to use to replace the ditto mark.

I dealt with this in my own programming by picking the philosophical
choice that made the technical ones irrelevant.  I chose to render
Unicode PUA pIqaD by keeping punctuation intact and substituting only
words composed entirely of Romanized Klingon characters/polygraphs.
This transformation is fully reversible -- in fact, my goal in doing
it was to Romanize pIqaD in order for me to read http://
qurgh.blogspot.com/ on a system which had no Unicode pIqaD support.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level