tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 30 07:04:17 2009

RE: joj

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQqun:
>>> Allright, years later, I'm still confused by (joj).  I
>>> understand that it works the same way as ('em) and the like,
>>> but generally you want 2 nouns when saying "between".
>>>
>>> I can say ('uSDu'lIj joj), but how do I add in another noun?
>>>
>>> For clarity, the sentence in question is "The maximum size of the log
>>> file must be between X and Y MB."

SuStel:
>> {joj} refers to a spatial kind of between, not the kind you're talking
>> about.

We have one example of {joj} "area between" in canon:

  poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
  The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors.  (S9)

Note that in this case {joj} doesn't follow the noun {SuvwI'pu'} but the pronoun {chaH}.

>> We have no simple and convenient way to do what you want.
>>
>> ta 'aqroS tIn law' X MB tIn puS 'ej Y MB tIn law' ta 'aqroS tIn puS
>> net poQ.

Doq:
>I agree that {joj} for "between" seems wrong here. Another approach
>might be:
>
>le' De'wI' QonoS 'aqroS mI'. tlhoy puS X. tlhoy tIn Y.

The Klingon Bird-of-Prey Poster gives us many clues on using numbers:

{'aqroS} "maximum" (lit. "top [interior]"):

  'aqroS qughDo:  pIvlob Hut vI' vagh
  Maximum Cruising Speed - Warp 9.5 (KBoP)

  jabbI'ID pup:  Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
  High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years (KBoP)

{rav} (lit. "floor") seems to be used for "minimum":

  Hung buv rav:  patlh Hut
  classified level 9 and above (KBoP)
  (lit. "security classification 'floor': level nine")

(One might have expected {bIS'ub} "bottom (interior)" as the counterpart to {'aqroS} "top (interior)", but Okrand is unpredictable!)  If this is right, you could state it plainly:

  ta mI' 'aqroS: X MB;  ta mI' rav: Y MB
  maximum file size ("number"): X MB;  minimum file size: Y MB

Also note that the verb {togh} "count" can be used for "to number":

  cha' vI' vagh choQmey lutoghlu'
  Number of Decks:  2.5  (KBoP)
  (lit. two point five decks are counted")

You should be able to combine these two ideas.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level