tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 27 18:10:20 2009

Re: {'Iv} and {law'}/{puS}

ghunchu'wI' wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>
>> The quote, incidentally: "Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the
>> fool who
>> follows him?" - Kenobi to Solo, Episode IV
>
> I can imagine the line being delivered in Alec Guinness's voice, but
> I can't recall ever having heard it.  None of the quotes I found on
> the web identified the context, and I didn't find a script handy.
> There aren't very many scenes with both characters.  Which one was it?

They're climbing out of the secret compartments in the Millennium
Falcon, and Han says that even if they could take off, they couldn't get
past the tractor beam. Ben says, "Leave that to me." Han remarks, "Damn
fool. I knew you were going to say that." Ben replies, "Who's the more
foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" (Though I always hear
"fool who follows *it*," not "him.")

> The basic problem, of course, is that it's not trivial in Klingon to
> ask someone to decide between two options, and that the comparative
> construction won't easily become a straightforward yes/no question.
> If it were otherwise, the question might be satisfyingly symmetrical.
>
> qoH tlha'bogh Dogh law' tlha'bogh qoH Dogh puS, pagh tlha'bogh qoH
> Dogh law' qoH tlha'bogh Dogh puS.  'Iv ghaH qoH Dogh'e'?

	'Iv Dogh law' latlh Dogh puS: qoH, tlha'bogh qoH ghap?

As a pithy quip, that's good enough.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH