tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 24 15:47:01 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

Michael Everson ([email protected])

Data integrity as I use it is not only making sure that the bits in a
document don't get screwed up (as when a global uppercasing or
lowercasing filter is applied) but also to ensure that there is
reliability in terms of the behaviour of characters in various modes
of processing. If DIFFERENT characters without a canonical equivalence
were used for [q] and [qx], reliability in terms of sorting and
searching can be guaranteed. Canonical equivalence can and will crop
up as a an impediment of one kind or another. Others have mentioned it
already. It can only get worse as Unicode implementations progress.
It's unnecessary and avoidable.

I've had a lot of good feedback -- not as much as I might like about
what's legible and what's not in the samples I've given. I'm going to
prepare something over the next few days which, I trust, will be seen
as a positive contribution.

Back to archive top level