tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 24 01:41:46 2009

Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 24 Jun 2009, at 04:52, [email protected] wrote:

>> On 23 Jun 2009, at 22:21, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> Changing normal Klingon to all upper or all lowercase does not
>>> make a text unreadable. Ambiguity is introduced, but it's
>>> trivial.  There
>>> are very few words that are distinguished by "q" vs. "Q".  These
>>> are resolved by context. So this "problem" isn't really a problem.
>>
>> Why bother to make the distinction at all, then?
>
> This seems to be so obvious I can't believe you asked it.

I was being ironic.

> Because they are different phonemes and not allophones.

Yet you said that the distinction is trivial, that you can read a text
which does not make the distinction very easily. In which case, why
bother to distinguish them, if it's more or less optional?

I also do not think it is optional, which is why I think Klingon would
benefit from a spelling reform.