tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 20 06:14:32 2009

Re: Once more into the ship in which I fled

McArdle wrote:

> --- On Fri, 6/19/09, [email protected]
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> There is no necessity for relative clauses modifying nouns in
>> non-core roles, so it's not fruitful to invent ways to do it.
>> Simply use two sentences: I fled in a ship.  Once more into that
>> ship.
>>
>> This is a long-known solution; I merely bring it up again.
>>
>> lay'tel SIvten
>>

> That strikes me as less a solution than a rationalization for not
> finding a solution.

No, it's a solution which says that Klingon doesn't do what you're
asking at all, or at least if there's a way it is unknown and probably
unknowable without input from Okrand.

> There's always that nagging "restaurant in which
>  we ate" example in TKD to suggest that a real solution (one that's
> recognizably a relative clause, not a transparent workaround) is at
> least theoretically possible.
>
> Qapla'
>
> mI'qey

I have yet to see any reason to believe that the appearance of "the
restaurant where we ate" is anything but an example explaining how a
relative clause works in *English*. I do not feel nagged by it in the
slightest.

--
SuStel
Stardate 9468.9