tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 19 21:11:21 2009
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Re: Once more into the ship in which I fled
- From: McArdle <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Once more into the ship in which I fled
- Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 21:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1245470988; bh=ycglfHWyOlNDqstpFXGqd4FcYQqYjZRux+vEjlpd4g8=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=GRdLXwbjlks60SKRdBMvV2u3J+i6VYhrWuMGE4XiHKTdW8X8w4a4cGUXc8jGDnqJYJNnqEzq/j29jxuPoSlTk/GNx+MyQad4t0UE8HLcsRFsS2qeRSbwgSHp1Ig9swCC1wQdKx+Fam2lgjFz5K6XMalHH0attDOf8DC5HGkN5Q8=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=S4IBtU4s6xhUMms6yLFYwfJHEnEaGOdyQ4scw5Q6zRGJa66p5fOYTzFrrn75n0CSOJ+F9vU7u6iv+DG84IrYM5AO0sZeQWN62vgFD3Alf8OevNTYoY/6YOF10/PF493xyOmJ/d9vkcsqBnZ3C/v7u+2ftmfv55cIKKPGMNk/wKk=;
--- On Fri, 6/19/09, MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com <MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com> wrote:
> From: MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com <MorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com>
> Subject: Re: Once more into the ship in which I fled
> To: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 11:20 PM
> There is no necessity for relative
> clauses modifying nouns in non-core
> roles, so it's not fruitful to invent ways to do it.
> Simply use two sentences:
> I fled in a ship. Once more into that ship.
> This is a long-known solution; I merely bring it up again.
> lay'tel SIvten
That strikes me as less a solution than a rationalization for not finding a solution. There's always that nagging "restaurant in which we ate" example in TKD to suggest that a real solution (one that's recognizably a relative clause, not a transparent workaround) is at least theoretically possible.