tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 20 06:12:51 2009

Re: Once more into the ship in which I fled

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jun 19, 2009, at 6:57 PM, McArdle wrote:

> If we assume for the sake of argument that such clauses are
> possible in Klingon, I think the only way to confront the fact that
> no one (not even MO) has found a good way to construct one is to
> assume that there's some feature of Klingon grammar that Maltz
> hasn't revealed to us, which (I think) frees us up to try to invent
> one.

yI'ogh, yIruch.  pabHeylIj vIlo' 'e' yIpIHQo'.  Dalo'chugh SoH, vIyaj
'e' yIpIHQo'.

Besides, there *is* an example in TKD of a relative clause using the
clause's locative as its head noun: {jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'}.
It's exceptional among canon examples in several ways (e.g. pronoun-
as-be, locative without {-Daq}).  Extrapolating from it is not
guaranteed to yield a general pattern.  One thing is unambiguous,
however: the head noun in this example *follows* the relative clause.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level