tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 18:32:13 2009

Re: pIqaD origins

Doq ([email protected])

I thought the BitStream fonts were clunky and lacking in artistic
skill, along with not resembling the Paramount characters in any
recognizable way, and lacking sufficient characters to write anything.

Other than being ugly and useless, I guess it's okay.

The KLI font that Lawrence put so much work into is useful, lovely to
look at, but limited, since the main form of communication for this
group is e-mail and you can't e-mail stuff in the KLI font and expect
very many people to read it.

vay' vIghItlhchugh 'ej KLI font vIlo'chugh, vaj Dochvam rur:

vay' vigizcug 'ej KLI font vilo'cug, vaj docvam rur.

wejpuH.

Doq

On Jun 15, 2009, at 6:59 PM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

>>> http://jules.dailygrommet.com/2009/05/21/objectified/#comment-779
>

> On Jun 15, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>
>> Well, it's wrong about the identity of the movie - there were no
>> Klingons in Star Trek II.  Assuming it was really III, though, it
>> does
>> sound like the origin of the onscreen Klingon script that was the
>> inspiration for the KLI's pIqaDqoq.
>
> If it was any movie other than the first, it's not the origin.
> Klingon text in the form we call pIqaD appeared onscreen in Star
> Trek: The Motion Picture.  KLI lore attributes the symbols to Astra
> Image Corporation (Wikipedia concurs).  The Bitstream connection came
> with ST3, after which they produced the Star Trek Font Pack disk --
> with a total of ten Klingon symbols in the "Star Trek Pi" font.  The
> Bitstream Klingon font does look more "consistent" than the one given
> to the KLI by an anonymous source at Paramount, so the redesign part
> of the story is plausible.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level