tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 08 07:37:45 2009

RE: Favourite Klingon Proverb

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Thorwald Peeters:
>[mupwI' yI'uchtaH] vIparHa'qu'. vIttlegh mu'tlhegh je.
>I love "keep holding the hammer". Both as a proverb as well as as a
>sentence.

Just playing around with your comment... I think if you tag {vIttlhegh mu'tlhegh je} with {-'e'} "topic" and move them to the front in apposition to the proverb quoted, this would sound more "Klingon":

  vIttlhegh'e' mu'tlhegh'e' je [mupwI' yI'uchtaH] vIparHa'qu'.

We've seen this sort of "fronting" before:

  HaqwI''e' DaH yISam
  Find the SURGEON now!"  TKD
  ("As for the surgeon, find him now!")

  cheng'e' DaH yISam
  Find Chang.  ST6
  ("As for Chang, find him now!")

  qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
  You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy.  ST5
  ("WRT warrior[s] in the galaxy, you are the greatest [of all]."

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level