tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 28 17:13:06 2009

vIlpu' vIlmey je

Doq ([email protected])

I suspect that the ease with which {vIl} can be applied to both people
and things has to do with how little the presence or absence of
sentience matters. These are people who don't count. They are like
bumps on the horizon. They occupy space, but they don't talk to you,
and if they did, you wouldn't care because you wouldn't be listening.

Not everyone has a minion. I would suspect that only people who have
minions (or ARE minions) would tend to have {vIlpu'}. It's a very
arrogant attitude toward other people.

Basically, you are classifying people into one of two groups:

Those who are useful.

Those who aren't.

Neither group gets a lot of respect. I mean, do you really think
people respect their minions? Obviously, they have even less respect
for {vIlpu'}.

There are the "nobodies" and the "special nobodies".

juppu' vImaS. vIlle' vIneHbe'.

I do wonder about the perspective of the minions, themselves. Do they
walk into a room and boldly declare: {vIlle'pu' maH!} as one would
declare {tlhIngan maH!}? or would one turn to a bystander and point to
the other minion and say, {vIlle' ghaH. vISovbe'.}

Do they get tatoos that say {vIlle' matlh} under a portrait of the one
they follow?

Do they insult one another by saying {vIlle' jIH! vIl neH SoH!}?

I can imagine moments when a minion fails at a task when the person to
whom he is minion turns to him and yells, {vIl!}

Doq

Back to archive top level