tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 13:11:29 2009

Re: Quick ghoS question

qurgh lungqIj ([email protected])

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> >So do these two sentences mean the same thing (I go, in a ship, to my
> home)
> >and which one is preferred (if there is a preference)?
> >
> >  DujDaq juHwIj vIghoS
> >  DujDaq juHwIjDaq vIghoS
>
> If I read Okrand correctly, you'd use {jI-} on the 2nd example:
>
>  DujDaq juHwIjDaq jIghoS
>

>From what you posted I would understand <DujDaq juHwIjDaq jIghoS> to mean "I
go in my home in the ship" (as in "I am in my home in the ship and
traveling"). While I get "I go to my home in the ship" (as in "I'm in the
ship, traveling to my home") from <DujDaq juHwIjDaq vIghoS>.

Am I correct in saying the following then, based on the canon examples
given:

If the prefix on a verb of motion contain an object then the subject moves
towards the object and that object, if it's a noun, may have -Daq on it, but
doesn't require it. If the prefix of a verb of motion does not contain an
object, then any object in the sentence must be indirect, must have -Daq on
it and indicates either the bearer of the subject or a description of the
path taken.

qurgh

Back to archive top level