tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 13:15:17 2009

RE: Quick ghoS question

DloraH ([email protected]) [Hol po'wI']

> 	{lupDujHomDaq jIchegh}
> 	"I return on the shuttle."
>
> 	{lupDujHom vIchegh       	}
> 	"I return to the shuttle."
>
> 	{lupDujHomDaq may'Duj vIchegh}
> 	"I return to the battle cruiser on the shuttle"
>
> 	{tera'vo' Qo'noS vIchegh}
> 	"I return to Kronos from Earth"
>
> If the place being returned to is mentioned (as in the final
> three sentences), the verb takes a pronominal prefix that
> indicates the object ({vI-} in the examples).

> >So do these two sentences mean the same thing (I go, in a
> ship, to my home)
> >and which one is preferred (if there is a preference)?
> >
> >  DujDaq juHwIj vIghoS
> >  DujDaq juHwIjDaq vIghoS
>
> If I read Okrand correctly, you'd use {jI-} on the 2nd example:
>
>   DujDaq juHwIjDaq jIghoS

He is going TO his home; so with or without -Daq I would leave it with vI-.

As to which is preferred, I think the double -Daq when one is the destination and one is the means
of travel can be a little confusing.
DujDaq juHwIj vIghoS - I am on a ship going home, is more easy to read.

DujDaq juHwIjDaq vIghoS - I am at my home, which is on a ship, and I am going to it (whatever "it"
is).  Or it could be: I am on a ship going home.

DujDaq juHwIjDaq jIghoS - I am at my home, which is on a ship, and I am going.

DloraH

Back to archive top level