tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 03 13:47:14 2009

Re: tera'Daq jIghIQvIS

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM, ghunchu'wI'<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Is it likely they would say
>>
>> tera'Daq jIghIQvIS, <vIranIS> <vInlanID> je vISuchta'
>
> Why not transliterate the native name instead of the English one?
> {veranSey} "FranÃais" even gets the emphasis on the right syllable.
The word franÃais means "French", not "France".  "France" in French is
"France" - where the 'n' is not a separate sound but just makes the
'a' nasal. {vIranIS} is probably still how it would get Klingonicized.

> Getting a little tricky here, I think a cultured speaker of {ta'
> tlhIngan Hol} would probably pronounce "Finland" as {vInlIN},

Why abandon your native-name idea now? The Finnish word for "Finland"
is "Suomi", which is practically perfect Hol already:   SuomIy.

--
Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level