tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 19 08:20:19 2009

RE: Star Trek Klingon opening dialogue

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

qurgh:
>I found out from Marc today what Gowron's speech is based on. He said
>it's a translation of the "O for a Muse of fire" prologue from Henry V
>(http://shakespeare.mit.edu/henryv/henryv.1.0.html ).

majQa'!  Well done, qurgh.

   O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
   The brightest heaven of invention,
   A kingdom for a stage, princes to act
   And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!
   Then should the warlike Harry, like himself,
   Assume the port of Mars; and at his heels,
   Leash'd in like hounds, should famine, sword and fire
   Crouch for employment. But pardon, and gentles all,
   The flat unraised spirits that have dared
   On this unworthy scaffold to bring forth
   So great an object: can this cockpit hold
   The vasty fields of France? or may we cram
   Within this wooden O the very casques
   That did affright the air at Agincourt?
   [....]

>This sounds right since the first line definably has the word <qul> in it.

Perusing Quvar and qa'vaj's transcriptions I see where Okrand appears to have used {DevwI'} for "muse" and {SuvwI'pu'} for "princes" and/or "monarchs".  I even see {Ha'DIbaH} "hounds" and {mIv} "casques".  And dare I suggest that qa'vaj's *o-shash* is {O SaS} "horizontal O" for "wooden O"?  (Though in light of Maltz's comments on letter names during last month's qep'a', this should now be {'ot SaS}!)

In fact, {DevwI'} is particularly appropriate:  Gowron is the Leader of the High Council {yejquv DevwI'} and he guides {Dev} the player through the game.

>If we are lucky, and it's not too hard for him to find, Marc said he
>would look around and see if he can find the translation he did for it.
>
>If I hear anything else I'll be sure to post it here.

Let's hope that Okrand can find his translation.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level