tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 20 12:45:59 2008

Re: SoSwI' SoH'a'?

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> At 08:54 PM Monday 5/19/2008, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
>
> >I also wonder about the correctness of {SoS
> bo'Degh} {ghu bo'Degh},
> >but I'm not sure what to suggest in their place.
>
> Another option is to reverse the nouns:  {bo'Degh
> SoS} "the bird's mother",
> {bo'Degh ghu} "the bird's baby".
>
> Yet another option would be {bo'Degh nen} "the
> mature/grown-up/adult bird"
> or {bo'Degh qan} "the old bird" vs. {bo'Degh Qup}
> "the young bird".  But
> these don't feel quite right either.

The problem is that in "mother bird", the nouns are in
apposition, not a genitive relationship, so the N1-N2
model doesn't really hold.  Both terms, "mother" and
"bird" refer equally to the same entity: "the mother
who is a bird/bird who is a mother".  The closest
analogy would be the phrase from the Skybox card (?)
that names Dura's sisters.

OTOH, if you think of the age/status of the bird as a
kind of title, then {bo'Degh SoS}, etc., would seem to
me to be the best alternative, by analogy with the
noun {puqloD} and the phrase {'enterpray' 'ejDo'}.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level