tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 20 13:08:35 2008

Re: SoSwI' SoH'a'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghunchu'wI':
> >> I also wonder about the correctness of {SoS bo'Degh} {ghu bo'Degh},
> >> but I'm not sure what to suggest in their place.

Voragh:
> > Another option is to reverse the nouns:  {bo'Degh SoS} "the bird's
> mother",
> > {bo'Degh ghu} "the bird's baby".
> >
> > Yet another option would be {bo'Degh nen} "the mature/grown-up/adult bird"
> > or {bo'Degh qan} "the old bird" vs. {bo'Degh Qup} "the young bird".  But
> > these don't feel quite right either.

ter'eS:
>The problem is that in "mother bird", the nouns are in apposition, not a
>genitive relationship, so the N1-N2
>model doesn't really hold.  Both terms, "mother" and "bird" refer equally
>to the same entity: "the mother
>who is a bird/bird who is a mother".  The closest analogy would be the
>phrase from the Skybox card (?)
>that names Dura's sisters.

Of course we could translate the appositional phrase {SoS bo'Degh} "mother
bird" literally, but I think ghunchu'wI' and I were uncomfortable because
it's too anthropomorphic:  i.e. do Klingons use {SoS} and {ghu} (or {be'}
"female" and {loD} "male" for that matter!) to refer to animals?

AFAIK we have no idea how Klingons refer to young or immature
animals.  Okrand's only comment IIRC on the matter is in KCD:

    A {Qa'Hom} is not a young {Qa'}, but it does bear a vague
    resemblance to its namesake.

Note that he's NOT saying here that {-Hom} isn't used to refer to young
animals (it could be for all we know), he's just saying that in this case
these are two different, if similar looking, species.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level