tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 05 06:54:36 2008

RE: latlh

I believe there was some argument going on regarding this stuff, and I
missed it because I filter out those ubiquitous Words of the Day
messages.

I don't have the ol' books with me right now, but Okrand *does* fully
explain the use of {Hoch} as "each, all" in a HolQeD article, as a
quantifier in front of a noun. The use of {HochHom} is unattested, but
seems reasonable considering the word. I believe Okrand also explains
the use of {'op} in the article that introduces it.

{HochHom} appears once on a Skybox card *after* a noun, and here it
(vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wejDIch HochHom) is translated to mean "most of
the 23rd century." If this text is translated accurately, it would
appear that {HochHom} following a noun means "most of <noun>." One
supposes, but has no evidence, that {Hoch} and {'op} can also follow
nouns with the same meaning: "all of <noun>" and "some of <noun>." These
translations aren't all that surprising, since the by-the-book
translation of, say, {chab Hoch} would be "the pie's entirety," and the
translation of {chab 'op} would be "the pie's some of."

Since I don't have my books with me, I can't quote the text that has
{latlh} modifying a noun, but there is at least once instance of this.
{latlh <noun>} "another noun" does appear. Perhaps {<noun> latlh} would
mean something like "<noun>'s additional part" or something. Perhaps
not. In any case, latlh is not acting like an adjective; it's a noun in
the genitive construction.

So we have, through canon or extrapolation:

Hoch chab        each pie
Hoch chabmey     all pies
chab Hoch        all of the pie ("the pie's everything")
HochHom chab     most of the pies
chab HochHom     most of the pie ("the pie's almost everything")
'op chab         some pies
chab 'op         some of a pie ("the pie's portion")
latlh chab       another pie
chab latlh       the pie's additional part
bID chab         half a pie
chab bID         the pie's half (seems the same as the previous)

Are all of these definitely correct? No. But they do more or less follow
the rules as we understand them.

SuStel
Stardate 8343.8