tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 24 11:30:51 2008

je: also, too

Steven Boozer wrote:
> SuStel:
>> Oh, and technically (TKD p. 55) the {je} should follow the verb,
>> not the pronoun: {yupma' DatIvjaj je SoH}.
>
> As it's Hanukkah, I was going for *Hag same'aH gam lekha* ("A happy
> holiday to you too" - trying to emphasize {SoH} not {tIv}.  I.e.:
>
> ? yupma' DatIvjaj SoH je may YOU TOO enjoy the festival (you
> specifically)
>
> ? yupma' DatIvjaj je SoH may you ALSO ENJOY the festival (as well as
> celebrate it)

At first I thought that was how it works too, but then I looked it up in
TKD on page 55 and saw this:

    The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function: when it follows
    a verb, it means "also, too."

       {qaleghpu' je} "I also saw you, I saw you too"

    As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous: "I and
    others saw you" or "I saw you and others." The exact meaning is
    determined by context.

Unless there is canon to the contrary, it would seem that {je} is not
used to mean things like "I SAW you (as well as doing something else to
you)."

But I haven't looked at all the instances of {je} after a verb to
confirm this.

For emphasis, use {-qu'} on verbs and {-'e'} on nouns.

 > yupma' DatIvjaj SoH'e'

This probably the way to do it. If it's in response to someone else's
well-wishing, it might be

    wa': yupma' DatIvjaj.
    cha': 'ej yupma' DatIvjaj SoH'e'.

If you want to clip it: