tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 24 06:47:48 2008

RE: wojmoHwI'mey yupma'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>> yupma' yItIvjaj SoH je!

Quvar:
>> And I think that you meant to say {yupma' DA-tIvjaj}   ;-)

SuStel:
> I think Quvar was addressing what Voragh wrote, which had {yI-}
> instead of {Da-}.

He was.  I shouldn't have used the imperative with {-jaj}.

>Oh, and technically (TKD p. 55) the {je} should follow the verb, not the
>pronoun: {yupma' DatIvjaj je SoH}.

As it's Hanukkah, I was going for *Hag same'aH gam lekha* ("A happy holiday to you too" - trying to emphasize {SoH} not {tIv}.  I.e.:

  ? yupma' DatIvjaj SoH je
    may YOU TOO enjoy the festival (you specifically)

  ? yupma' DatIvjaj je SoH
    may you ALSO ENJOY the festival (as well as celebrate it)

But looking at canon, I can find no example of {je} following a pronoun.  The closest example I could find supports SuStel:

  notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH
  War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

I may have been thinking of:

  Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
  that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well. ST5

which implies:

  yupma' DatIvjaj SoH'e'

or even just:

  yupma' DatIvjaj SoH

since using the redundant pronoun adds emphasis all by itself.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level