tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 07:12:18 2008

Re: KLBC: New to the List

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

The existence of {VrDV} tells us nothing about the acceptability of
{rD} as a syllable coda. Most languages have "clusters" across
syllables that can't occur in the onset or coda of a single syllable.
In English, consider "-ln" - no English syllable ends with it. There's
"lm", but not "ln".  Nevertheless we have "hazelnut",, "vulnerable",
"malnutrition", etc, with "ln" across a syllable boundary. (In the
"oddball proper name" slot occupied by {pIqarD} in tlhIngan Hol, we
have "Lincoln" - but not really, since the -l- is not pronounced.)

On 12/9/08, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:
> Steven Boozer wrote:
>
>> DloraH:
>>> But in {qarDaS} and {qarDaSya'} the r and the D are in separate
>>> syllables. qar-DaS, qar-DaS-ya' All being CVC.
>>
>> I noticed that too but even so, this is the only example of a
>> *non-suffixed* noun with the string {-arD-} -- and it's another
>> foreign name.  Apparently it's pronounceable but, for some reason,
>> uncommon.  This may be significant, or it may just be a coincidence
>> due to the small size of the known vocabulary.  (And yes, I know that
>> forms like {tarDaq} "in the poison", {DI'qarDaq} "toward D'Kar",
>> {ghISnarDaq} "on the grishnar cat", etc. are possible.)
>
> There are a number of not-very-pronounceable consonant combinations,
> some of which appear in the vocabulary. (I haven't the time to look for
> examples right now.) One example is {-nD-}. I remember one Klingonist
> who called herself SanDar, and we had a conversation at qep'a' loSDIch
> about how difficult it was to position the tongue correctly to say her
> name. She took a perverse pleasure in this, I think. :)
>
> --
> SuStel
> Stardate 8940.7

Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>