tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 06:54:16 2008

Re: KLBC: New to the List

Steven Boozer wrote:

> DloraH:
>> But in {qarDaS} and {qarDaSya'} the r and the D are in separate
>> syllables. qar-DaS, qar-DaS-ya' All being CVC.
>
> I noticed that too but even so, this is the only example of a
> *non-suffixed* noun with the string {-arD-} -- and it's another
> foreign name.  Apparently it's pronounceable but, for some reason,
> uncommon.  This may be significant, or it may just be a coincidence
> due to the small size of the known vocabulary.  (And yes, I know that
> forms like {tarDaq} "in the poison", {DI'qarDaq} "toward D'Kar",
> {ghISnarDaq} "on the grishnar cat", etc. are possible.)

There are a number of not-very-pronounceable consonant combinations,
some of which appear in the vocabulary. (I haven't the time to look for
examples right now.) One example is {-nD-}. I remember one Klingonist
who called herself SanDar, and we had a conversation at qep'a' loSDIch
about how difficult it was to position the tongue correctly to say her
name. She took a perverse pleasure in this, I think. :)

--
SuStel
Stardate 8940.7

Back to archive top level