tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 06:24:51 2008

RE: KLBC: New to the List

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Doq (?):
>>>There have been a couple of proper names that didn't conform to
>>>this, but they have all been borrowed from other languages, like
>>>{jon luq pIqarD}.

Voragh:
>> Interestingly, the string {-arD-} is present in just one
>> other word that I know of:
>>
>>   Cardassia is both {qarDaS} and {qarDaSya'}.  [KGT p. 142]
>>
>> Note BTW that this is another foreign proper name.  This
>> tells us that Klingons view the combination {qarD} as
>> pronounceable, even though it doesn't appear in any native
>> tlhIngan Hol words.

DloraH:
>But in {qarDaS} and {qarDaSya'} the r and the D are in separate syllables.
>  qar-DaS, qar-DaS-ya'
>All being CVC.

I noticed that too but even so, this is the only example of a *non-suffixed* noun with the string {-arD-} -- and it's another foreign name.  Apparently it's pronounceable but, for some reason, uncommon.  This may be significant, or it may just be a coincidence due to the small size of the known vocabulary.  (And yes, I know that forms like {tarDaq} "in the poison", {DI'qarDaq} "toward D'Kar", {ghISnarDaq} "on the grishnar cat", etc. are possible.)

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level