tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 05 14:24:13 2008

RE: KLBC: New to the List

Ted Williams ([email protected])

jatlh ter'eS> > Hi, Ted, I am the Beginner's Grammarian, which means I get first crack at answering your questions or correcting your offerings (after that, everyone else is free to disagree with me!).

Hi.  I do have a question specifically about the marking of diphthongs and vowels at the end of words.  In creating my own {mu'ghom}, I noticed an in consistancy on how diphthongs are marked.  As I came accross {HItuy}: "dictatorship" in TKD, I was surprised by the lack of a glottal stop.  All the diphthongs I have seen so far (limited though my vocabulary is) seem to all be followed by {'} when the diphthong comes at the end of a word.  Is there specific rhyme or reason to the presence or absence of the glottal stop?

Likewise, when a vowel ends a word, more often than not a glottal stop follows, but with a few notable excetions, such as {ghu}: "baby" or {HaSta}: "visual display".  I have noticed that with the conjunctive {je} and its counterpart {'ej}, the glottal stop is lacking after {je}, leading me to believe that a Klingon word per se does not require a glottal stop acting to complete the syllable, but one IS required preceeding a vowel to initiate a syllable.  Is that correct?
> > make it {vIghoj}. You need the "1st person subject- 3rd person object" verb prefix ("I study it"). {jI-} is the "no boject" prefix.>
ter'eS qatlho'

-teD