tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 07 11:39:31 2008

Re: "Update"

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On 8/5/08, Fiat Knox <[email protected]> wrote:

> Updating, for me, means the process of keeping the blade
> shiny.

I suspect this to be a case of dialectical difference. Updating to me
strongly implies change, not merely maintaining the status quo.

bochbe'taHmeH 'etlh, 'etlh leHlu'. chaq ngoQlIjvaD Qap <leH>.

It's a continual process of maintaining the updated thing's
> prime condition, but not necessarily making an improvement.
> "Update (v)" would be /notlhHa'moH/ in this context, for
> me.

Even with this explanation, I don't see how "update" applies. Your first
example was of a computer program, which doesn't seem to fit your
meaning. Programs do not decay. A program does not require maintenance in
order to keep it in its "prime condition". And to prevent a thing from
becoming obsolete, one must improve it, yes?

Adding new features, on the other hand, is an improvement.
> And for this, I use the word "upgrade." An upgraded item
> carries features it did not have before, or it performs the
> same functions it once did only more efficiently because
> its new peak efficiency has been increased.

How do you "update" a computer program in a way that makes the term
"upgrade" not appropriate?

I understand your explanation of the "update" meaning. I might be
comfortable applying it to relatively passive information, like what you'd
find in a database, but I certainly wouldn't apply it to a program. And for
a database update, the <De' chu' lab> suggestion from ter'eS seems perfect.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level