tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 05 08:36:37 2008

RE: "Update"

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Alex (Fiat Knox):
> Updating, for me, means the process of keeping the blade
> shiny.

  reH boch qutluch lo'lu'bogh
  The used kut'luch is always shiny. TKW

> It's a continual process of maintaining the updated thing's
> prime condition, but not necessarily making an improvement.

  leH   maintain (v.)
  leH   maintenance (n.)

> "Update (v)" would be /notlhHa'moH/ in this context, for me.

Of all the suggestions, to "un-obsolete" something works best for me.

> Adding new features, on the other hand, is an improvement.
> And for this, I use the word "upgrade." An upgraded item
> carries features it did not have before, or it performs the
> same functions it once did only more efficiently because
> its new peak efficiency has been increased.
>
> I can see the case for /rach/ in this case, but also /Dub/
> "improve (v)."

WRT hardware and other inanimate objects, I'd stick with {rach}, though if software is viewed as something of a "more abstract nature", {Dub} "enhance" is a possibility.  Okrand wrote on st.klingon (10/20/1998):

  When used in reference to a person, the verb {rach} suggests
  an improvement in health; when used in reference to an inanimate
  object, say, a mechanical device or the hull of a ship, {rach}
  also implies improvement or betterment. {rach} is also to be
  distinguished from {Dub} 'improve', which seems to be used
  primarily when what is being enhanced is of a more abstract
  nature (as when one improves or increases one's status, skill,
  understanding, etc.).

Our two known examples of {Dub} support this statement (though note the loophole: "seems to be used primarily" <g>):

  SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna' ghurmoH naQvam
  This [i.e (rifle) stock] serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase the effective range for distance targeting. S14

{SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam} "this stock improves a warrior's sharpshooting/marksmanship"

  DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
  The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon High Council. S26

{DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub} "they improve the House of Duras' Klingon High Council rank"

I'm guessing {Dub} would always be used in clear-cut cases of self-improvement or spiritual development however.  E.g. the {nenghep}:

  qaSDI' nenghep, qa' patlh chu' chav tlhIngan SuvwI'
  The Age of Ascension marks a new level of spiritual attainment by a Klingon warrior. S9

  SuvwI' qa' patlh veb chavlaHmeH tlhIngan lo'chu' chaH.  toDujDaj toblu'
  [They] use the [painstiks] to inflict pain in a manner which will allow the Klingon to attain a higher state of spirituality as a warrior, proving his mettle. S32

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level