tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 05 07:31:04 2008

Re: "Update"

Doq ([email protected])

I could see {rach} for updating my iPod Touch, since that
significantly improved its functionality by adding the ability to run
third party applications. Meanwhile, for Windows I think {tlhoS
notlhHa'qa'taH} is much more appropriate. Every time I fire up my
virtual Windows sessions on my Mac, my first priority is to update the
virus definitions and check for Windows Updates. Heaven forbid I go a
week without doing both, lest I get a virtual infestation and have to
rebuild from scratch.

Qatlh tlhIngan Hol vIqeqmeH Qu'. nuq vIqellaH jIjatlhtaHvIS?
potlhbe'chugh QIn, jatlhQo' tlhInganna'. vaj tlhInganna' vIrur
vIneHchugh, qub QInwIj.

Doq

On Aug 4, 2008, at 6:50 PM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

>> Fiat Knox:
>>
>> DloraH:
>>> -qa' and -choH are both type-3 verb suffixes.
>>> A word can have only one suffix from each suffix type.
>
> ja' Voragh:
>> Fiat Knox was on the right track, he just needs to substitute the
>> Type 4 suffix {-moH} (cause) for {-choH} (change in state):  *
>> {chu'(qa')moH} "make new (again)", i.e. "renovate" or "modernize".
>
> It's not easy to see it in the forest of suffixes, but {-moH} was
> already present.
>
> ja'qa' Fiat Knox:
>> I just considered putting forward the case for
>>
>> notlhHa'choHmoH
>> (cause a change in the thing such that it ceases to be
>> obsolete),
>
> I'd just say {notlhHa'moH}.
>
> There are relatively few occasions where many verb suffixes are
> appropriate on a general translation for a given word.  In this case,
> {-choH} is basically unnecessary unless you really want to focus on
> the act of changing the state.  {-Ha'} can already imply the "change"
> idea (I don't have TKD handy, but I recall it saying that {Do'Ha'}
> suggests a turn of luck from good to bad).
>
>> the usual meaning behind "update" in the sense of an update
>> to, say, anti-virus software, where the update is applied
>> to something to allow it to continue functioning at the
>> accustomed level of efficiency.
>

> It might be a US vs. UK thing, but I certainly don't see that as a
> typical meaning of the word "update".  I'd be more likely to explain
> a software update as *improving* the function, for which we have a
> perfect term in Klingon:  {rach} "fortify, invigorate, strengthen".
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level