tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 04 15:52:18 2008

Re: "Update"

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

> Fiat Knox:
>>> chaq "chu'qa'choHmoHlu'" mu' lo'lu'? mu' vIchIl.
>
> DloraH:
>> -qa' and -choH are both type-3 verb suffixes.
>> A word can have only one suffix from each suffix type.

ja' Voragh:
> Fiat Knox was on the right track, he just needs to substitute the
> Type 4 suffix {-moH} (cause) for {-choH} (change in state):  *
> {chu'(qa')moH} "make new (again)", i.e. "renovate" or "modernize".

It's not easy to see it in the forest of suffixes, but {-moH} was
already present.

ja'qa' Fiat Knox:
> I just considered putting forward the case for
>
> notlhHa'choHmoH
> (cause a change in the thing such that it ceases to be
> obsolete),

I'd just say {notlhHa'moH}.

There are relatively few occasions where many verb suffixes are
appropriate on a general translation for a given word.  In this case,
{-choH} is basically unnecessary unless you really want to focus on
the act of changing the state.  {-Ha'} can already imply the "change"
idea (I don't have TKD handy, but I recall it saying that {Do'Ha'}
suggests a turn of luck from good to bad).

> the usual meaning behind "update" in the sense of an update
> to, say, anti-virus software, where the update is applied
> to something to allow it to continue functioning at the
> accustomed level of efficiency.

It might be a US vs. UK thing, but I certainly don't see that as a
typical meaning of the word "update".  I'd be more likely to explain
a software update as *improving* the function, for which we have a
perfect term in Klingon:  {rach} "fortify, invigorate, strengthen".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level