tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 30 07:47:25 2007

Re: another grammar question: verbs used adjectivally

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Quvar, jatlh:
>I might be confused, but do verbs with the suffix -moH
>need an object??

I don't see any reason why not. TKD doesn't go into a whole lot of detail about how the grammar of causatives works, and a lot of aspects of them are still pretty hotly contested, but for my part I don't see why the object of a causative verb shouldn't be able to be dropped just like any other object.

>Can I say {jIbochmoH} "I polish" i.e. "I cause to be shiny"?

vIlajbej jIH. I have used {jIwuQmoH} "I cause headaches" in the past.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Live Earth ‘07 updates, artist info & concert streams!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=790&referral=windowslivehotmailtagline&URL=http://liveearth.ninemsn.com.au

Back to archive top level