tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 28 14:06:17 2007

Re: grammar question: verbs used adjectivally

McArdle ([email protected])

--- David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> McArdle wrote:
>
> > I don't have my copy of TKD with me, so I can't
> quote
> > it directly, but I believe what it says is that
> the
> > head noun of a relative clause can be either the
> > subject or the object of the main verb.  The word
> > "prohibiting" was an exaggeration; it's more
> accurate
> > to say that TKD "doesn't [explicitly] allow" nouns
> > with other functions (which would include nouns
> with
> > type 5 suffixes other than {'e'}) to participate
> in
> > relative clauses.
>
> pab Da'oghpu'. ja' tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom ('ay'
> 6.2.3):
>
> 	The whole construction (relative clause plus head
> noun), as a
> 	unit, is used in a sentence as a noun.
> Accordingly, this
> 	construction follows or precedes the verb of the
> sentence,
> 	depending on whether it is the subject or object.

This is just as I described it:  it explicitly
addresses the use of (relative clause + head noun) as
subject or object only.  It doesn't prohibit the use
of relative clauses in other contexts, but it doesn't
endorse it either.

> pabvamvaD ram DIp mojaq.

But except for {'e'} (and, now that I think of it,
{Daq} for verbs of motion), bearing a type 5 suffix
disqualifies a noun from being either the subject or
the object of a verb.  Certainly the noun phrase
*{potlhlaw'bogh meqmeymo'} can be neither object nor
subject.

Maybe I'm making too much of a small gap in the
grammar, but I'd sure love to see some canon to
confirm that you can use relative clauses in ways that
TKD doesn't address.

mI'qey

http://autos.yahoo.com/

Back to archive top level