tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 28 15:21:42 2007

Re: grammar question: verbs used adjectivally

McArdle wrote:

>> The whole construction (relative clause plus head noun), as a unit,
>> is used in a sentence as a noun. Accordingly, this construction
>> follows or precedes the verb of the sentence, depending on whether
>> it is the subject or object.
>
> This is just as I described it:  it explicitly addresses the use of
> (relative clause + head noun) as subject or object only.  It doesn't
> prohibit the use of relative clauses in other contexts, but it
> doesn't endorse it either.

I see what you're getting at now. Strictly going by the text of TKD,
you're correct.

There is canon that disagrees. I've just skimmed through The Klingon Way
and found the following:

	meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
	Only a fool fights in a burning house. (p. 111)

> But except for {'e'} (and, now that I think of it, {Daq} for verbs of
> motion), bearing a type 5 suffix disqualifies a noun from being
> either the subject or the object of a verb.

No it doesn't. It usually doesn't make any sense, but there's nothing
that actually says that.

SuStel
Stardate 7742.4

Back to archive top level