tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 28 13:36:59 2007

Re: grammar question: verbs used adjectivally

McArdle wrote:

> I don't have my copy of TKD with me, so I can't quote
> it directly, but I believe what it says is that the
> head noun of a relative clause can be either the
> subject or the object of the main verb.  The word
> "prohibiting" was an exaggeration; it's more accurate
> to say that TKD "doesn't [explicitly] allow" nouns
> with other functions (which would include nouns with
> type 5 suffixes other than {'e'}) to participate in
> relative clauses.

pab Da'oghpu'. ja' tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom ('ay' 6.2.3):

	The whole construction (relative clause plus head noun), as a
	unit, is used in a sentence as a noun.  Accordingly, this
	construction follows or precedes the verb of the sentence,
	depending on whether it is the subject or object.

pabvamvaD ram DIp mojaq.

SuStel
Stardate 7742.2

Back to archive top level