tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 16 16:20:32 2007

Re: Positioning for emphasis

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten, ja':
>"Regarding the child, he (someone else) hit the officer."  Context would
>fill in the subject.

That's the problem; I can't think of any suitable context that wouldn't
prefer some other type 5 suffix on {puq}. Perhaps it's just the verb {qIp},
though; I suppose {puqpu''e' ja'chuq chaH} "they talked to each other
regarding the child" would work fine.

In retrospect, I guess I can see why {puq'e' yaS qIp ghaH} would be
ungrammatical. In Klingon, free pronouns themselves serve to emphasise the
subject, so {puq'e' yaS qIp ghaH}, even if one allowed {puq'e'} to be equal
to {ghaH}, has two emphasised arguments, which implies that the two are not
the same.

However, I'm very surprised that everyone deems {puq'e'} at the end of a
sentence (i.e. in subject position) to be semantically different from
{puq'e'} as a header. Why, and how, is {puq'e' yaS qIp} different from {yaS
qIp puq'e'}? On top of that, direct objects apparently can be moved to
header position without any such semantic change (viz. {HaqwI''e' DaH yISam}
and {cheng'e' DaH Sam}). TKD (p. 180) says explicitly "the adverbial may
follow the object noun" when the object noun is topicalised, but the
relevant section discusses placement of adverbial elements. I believe the
simplest explanation is not that the placement of the adverb is really
changing, but that the object is being shifted to header position,
especially considering that this change of adverb placement is said to occur
with {-'e'}-marked objects only. Although we have no canon examples of
{-'e'}-subject fronting, I don't see why this shift in position could occur
with objects but not with subjects.

I think ghunchu'wI' and DloraH's explanation that {puq'e' yaS qIp} reads
like "he or she hit the CHILD's officer" is flimsy. No Klingon would ever
read it like that, whether punctuated or not, because of the rule
prohibiting type 5 suffixes on the first noun of a noun-noun construction.
For me at least, type 5 suffixes would serve as parsing signals, marking
that you've reached the end of a noun phrase.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language
Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Advertisement: See what's Hot in new Live Hotmail
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=810&referral=Hotmailtagline&URL=http://www.livehotmail.ninemsn.com.au/

Back to archive top level