tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 16 16:41:30 2007

Re: Positioning for emphasis

In a message dated 9/16/2007 8:35:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > I repeat: The SUBJECT comes at the END of the sentence, that's why I
> > would read "s/he hits the officer" and then "the child" is flying
> > around somewhere after the sentence.
>
> The answer is simple: {puq'e'} is not the subject of the sentence. It is
> the topic. Topics, as well as locatives, from-phrases, beneficiaries,
> timestamps, and adverbials, come before the object.
>
> {ghaH} is the subject. That {puq'e'} is the antecedent of {ghaH} is
> unimportant. This sentence is not ungrammatical.
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 7708.5

Why isn't it grammatical?  {puq'e'} need have no relation at all to the
subject or the object, only to the sentence as a whole.

Maybe the child tells a story that someone hit the officer and the child's
father has a different story.

lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level