tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 14 08:42:56 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 28, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

po'mIn:
> >Dogbert: "Your lawyer did a bad job on the contract."
> >Doqbot:  {batlh malja' mab qI'pu' chut Duyra'.}

Voragh:
>"your legal agent signed the business treaty honorably"
>
>I would understand this as meaning that he signed the contract in good
>faith, perhaps implying that he was tricked by the other party.  If you
>really mean he wrote a bad contract, use {qon}.  (I think {qon} is slightly
>better than {gher} here.  In theory at least, a contract simply records
>("memorializes") the terms and conditions the two parties have agreed to.)
>
>    batlhHa' malja' mab qonpu' chut Duyra'.
>    Your business agent has written/recorded the business treaty dishonorably"
>
>i.e. he tried to trick the other party.
>
>    malja' mab qonHa'pu' chut Duyra'.
>    Your business agent has mis-written/recorded the business treaty"
>
>    malja' mab gherHa'pu' chut Duyra'.
>    Your business agent has mis-compiled the business treaty"
>
>i.e. he wrote it down wrong/made a mistake/misunderstood what you wanted
>(to your disadvantage).

Another option:  *{SutlhHa'} "mis-negotiate" or {batlhHa' Sutlh} "negotiate
dishonorably".  There's no evidence that {Sutlh} takes an object as
"negotiate" can in English however:

   SutlhtaHvIS chaH DIHIvpu'
   DIHIvpu' SutlhtaHvIS chaH
   While they were negotiating we attacked them. (TKD 63)

   bISuv 'e' yIwIv;  bISutlh 'e' yIwIvQo'
   Choose to fight, not negotiate. TKW

   bISutlhnISchugh jaghlI' mInDu' tIbej
   If you must negotiate, watch your enemy's eyes. TKW

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level