tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 25 12:05:11 2007

Re: chainsaw?

ja' mI'qey:

> I encountered the other day a need (if you can call it
> that) to translate the word "chainsaw" into Klingon.

The {qutluch} has a serrated blade, and is as close to "saw' as I can
get in Klingon without multiple sentences.  Perhaps {mIr qutluch}?

> After juggling various possibilities, I settled on
> {pe'meH mIr}.  Does this seem reasonable to you?

It's not as reasonable as it could be.  The chain in a chainsaw is
not what does the cutting; it merely transports the sharp teeth.

Maybe the idea of the chain is unimportant, and what needs to be
expressed is the fact that it's an engine-powered device rather than
a hand-powered one.  I offer {pe'meH nguSDI'} "cutting motor".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level