tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 25 10:23:29 2007

Re: chainsaw?

McArdle ([email protected])

--- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> mI'qey:
> >I encountered the other day a need (if you can call
> it
> >that) to translate the word "chainsaw" into
> Klingon.
> >After juggling various possibilities, I settled on
> >{pe'meH mIr}.  Does this seem reasonable to you?
>
> That's not bad.  Modeled on {pe'meH taj} "cutting
> knife" no doubt:

I only wish I knew canon that well.  Actually, I
constructed it out of whole cloth, based on dictionary
lookups and my understanding of the way verbs with
{-meH} can be used to modify nouns.  No doubt, since
I've read KGT, the example of {pe'meH taj} contributed
to that understanding, but I didn't specifically
recall it or model {pe'meH mIr} on it.

It's nice to learn, though, that my invention has a
canonical parallel.

qatlho'

--mI'qey