tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 25 09:50:05 2007

Re: chainsaw?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

mI'qey:
>I encountered the other day a need (if you can call it
>that) to translate the word "chainsaw" into Klingon.
>After juggling various possibilities, I settled on
>{pe'meH mIr}.  Does this seem reasonable to you?

That's not bad.  Modeled on {pe'meH taj} "cutting knife" no doubt:

   there are also a number of knives designed not as weapons but rather
   as tools, used only for cutting. These are not as sharp as the weapon
   knives, nor as artfully decorated ... The general term for a knife
   used as a tool is the same term used for a knife as a weapon, namely
   {taj}. If context is unclear, this could lead to some confusion. When
   clarity is required, the tool knife may be called a {pe'meH taj}, a
   "knife for cutting".  [KGT 63]

To describe the sharp {jej} or serrated chain itself, consider *{Ho'
mIr}.  Cf. KGT p. 61f.:

   The {qutluch}, or kut'luch in its usual Federation Standard spelling,
   is a knife associated with Klingon assassins. It has a serrated blade
   ({Ho' 'etlh} [literally, "tooth blade"]), so it is particularly lethal.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level