tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 17 13:01:51 2007

Re: verb + verb "compound" nouns?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > {jey} is not a noun but it is an element in the compound noun
> > {Doghjey} "unconditional surrender".  It's another of those
> > noun + verb compounds.

ghunchu'wI':
>I'm confused.  Despite the introductory phrase, you still seems to be

You're right, I obviously mis-remembered that {Dogh} was a quality.

>using {jey} as a noun.  How is {Doghjey} a noun + verb compound if
>both {Dogh} and {jey} are verbs?  For that matter, how is {Doghjey} a
>"compound noun" in the first place, since neither of its parts is a
>noun?

But the compound {Doghjey} IS a noun, although neither {Dogh} "be foolish,
be silly" or {jey} "defeat" are.  (Hmm... I wonder if Okrand mis-remembered
the verb {jegh} "surrender"?)  If you're quibbling over that fact that
neither of its components are nouns, what then would you call it?

BTW, have we seen any more of these verb + verb "compound" nouns?  We've
seen verb + noun compounds, but I can't think of any other verb + verb
types off hand.  (I can't search my notes since I don't have these labelled.)

Speaking of which... has anyone ever collected the verb + noun
compounds?  Is there a pattern?  For example:  Is there a preferred order
-- verb + noun, noun + verb, or neither?  Or are the verbs always (or
usually) action verbs, not stative verbs/qualities?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level