tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 28 16:59:21 2007

Re: Now and then?

McArdle ([email protected])

--- Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "Voyages: now and then".
>
> It would be nice to have more information about just
> what this sign
> was referring to.  My first thought -- and still my
> most strong one
> -- is that "now and then" is an idiomatic way to say
> "occasionally".
>
> If you want to translate it as referring to two
> different times, I
> can accept that interpretation, but I still find it
> very strange that
> nobody has a problem assuming "then" means "in the
> past".  Wouldn't
> it have said "then and now" if that were the case?
> To avoid the
> potential trap of making the wrong choice about
> something that isn't
> explicit, how about {DaHjaj latlh je lengmey}?
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I
interpret "now and then" to refer to different time
periods is that I've heard sermons, and I can imagine
a sermon about "Voyages:  comparing those taken today
with those taken in the past".  On the other hand,
"Voyages: every once in a while" doesn't quite work
for me as a sermon title.

-- mI'qey