tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 28 14:39:07 2007

Re: Now and then?

McArdle wrote:

> A direct substitution of words in the English template doesn't seem
> quite right to me, I think because I read {DaHjaj} and {ret} as nouns
> unless they're occupying an adverbial position in a sentence.

They *are* nouns, whatever position in a sentence they occupy. But we're
not trying to translate a sentence here.

> If they are to be construed this way, the tiny (and perhaps deluded)
> Klingon part of my brain wants their connection with {lengmey} to be
> better specified:  these are voyages *of* yesterday and today.  Hence
> I'd expect the Klingon equivalent of a genitive:  the noun-noun
> construction.
>
> DaHjaj ret je lengmey

Like I said in my first post, we're not translating a full, grammatical
English sentence, so there's no reason to expect a translation to be
fully grammatical, either. What a Klingon would accept regarding pithy
titles we just don't know.

SuStel
Stardate 7909.4

Back to archive top level