tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 20 09:36:43 2007

Re: nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?

ja' Voragh:

>> ...The suffix is
>> absent when the situation is more permanent: {puqpu' chaH
>> qama'pu''e'} "The prisoners are children."
>
> I would have said their status is temporary:  they weren't and
> won't always be prisoners.

That would be a valid point if the sentence were the other way
around: {qama'pu' chaH[taH] puqpu''e'} "The children are prisoners."
As it is, though, it's referring not to the state of being a prisoner
but the state of being a child.  (Yes, children mature, but that's
not under the control of the jailer.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level