tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 20 09:02:43 2007

Re: nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>ja' Voragh:
> > The pronoun+{-taH} = "to be (located) somewhere" rule is not
> > explicitly stated by Okrand, but it is a pattern we've noticed
> > by examining his example sentences.

ghunchu'wI':
>The pattern I saw at first was this:  {-taH} accompanies the pronoun-
>as-to-be when the sentence is describing a situation that could
>change without notice: {pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la''e'} "The commander is
>in his quarters."  It's an ongoing but mutable state.  The suffix is
>absent when the situation is more permanent: {puqpu' chaH
>qama'pu''e'} "The prisoners are children."

I would have said their status is temporary:  they weren't and won't always
be prisoners.

>Following this apparent pattern, {nuqDaq 'oH} is right for asking the
>location of a restroom in a building or the location of a good
>restaurant.  {nuqDaq 'oHtaH} would be perfectly appropriate when
>referring to an already-known but mobile restroom or restaurant.

Possibly, although there are no known examples of {nuqDaq
[PRONOUN]taH}.  {nuqDaq} is always used with a simple pronoun without
{-taH}.  OTOH we do have this example:

   nuqDaq So'taH yaS
   Where is the officer hiding? TKD

This question also asks for a location, but not by using a pronoun.

>However, the {jengva'} and {vaS'a'} examples seem to go against this
>interpretation.

Another possible counter-example is this one referring to Deep Space Nine:

   loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
    ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH
   It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to
    unknown regions of the universe. (DS99)

though I will concede that space stations move - they orbit planets and
they can be re-located, as in fact DS9 was when the Bajoran wormhole was
discovered - so perhaps this is not its permanent position.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level