tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 17 12:21:37 2007

Re: Translation request

Qang qu'wI' ([email protected])

On Nov 17, 2007 1:22 AM, Jonathan Webley <[email protected]> wrote:

>             yuQvam luvu'Ha'mo' nganpu',
>
>                         Because the inhabitants have mismanaged this planet,
>
>             'u' HochvaD DoQ tlhIngan wo'.
>
>                         the Klingon Empire claims it for the whole Universe.
>
>             per mub 'oS naghvam.
>
>                         This rock represents a legal "marker".
>
>             tugh mapaw,
>
>                         We will be arriving soon,
>
>             Sanraj wuqlu'pu'.
>
>                         Your fate has been decided.
>

> Jon

majQa!

I think the artist has been served well here.  The last sentence is
really cool.  Your final tweaks -- although small -- improve the
overall translation nicely IMHO.  The contributors have every reason
to be pleased.  I hope that someone links a picture when the art is
completed.

I just wanted to add though, (just for fun), that I can't escape
feeling a sort of twisted irony in this.  It is after all the
*Klingons* who have decided that we've mismanaged our planet.  If they
were to observe us today, would they think that we've mismanaged our
planet? - You betcha!  We have all these wonderful conflicts, and yet
we're waisting too much of our time with useless diplomacy and
pointless chatter, when glorious battle would resolve these issues
with honor.  Why are {Humanpu'} being so timid about exploiting the
resources of this planet?  And we've discovered nuclear energy - why
aren't the countrysides filled with nuclear power plants?  What's
this!? {Humanpu'} have halted an industrial project because it might
endanger some fishies in a stream? -- Now *that's* a kind of
mismanagement that would inspire the Klingons to 'decide our fate'.

I have a feeling this isn't exactly the sentiment that's intended <g>.

--
Qang qu'wI'

Back to archive top level