tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 17 11:52:41 2007

Re: nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?

Qang qu'wI' ([email protected])

On Nov 17, 2007 1:09 PM, Doq <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]
> Looking over canon examples and all that, I've come to realize that
> one of the first sentences that everybody learns is actually quite
> strange:
>
> nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'.
>
> It doesn't LOOK strange, if you have an intermediate grasp of the
> language. It looks a lot like an example in TKD, page 68:

I think it depends on what is intended to be the subject (see below).

> But in our question about the location of the bathroom, the pronoun
> {'oH} doesn't have an object. When that happens, we're supposed to
> make sentences like {tlhIngan maH}. We're not supposed to say things
> like {maH tlhIngan'e'}.
>
> I mean, if I were to translate, "Here, we are Klingons," I'd tend to
> say {naDev tlhIngan maH.} If I were to use the bathroom example,
> however, I'd have to say, {naDev maH tlhIngan'e'.}

I would interpret {naDev tlhIngan maH} just as you quoted, "Here, we
are Klingons", but I would interpret {naDav maH tlhIngan'e'} as "The
Klingons here are us".

For the puchpa''e' case, if you were in a circumstance in which you
were being informed about  that screen in the corner with the bucket
behind it, you might hear {naDev puchpa' 'oH}  "it is the bathroom
here."  So substituting the question word {nuqDaq puchpa' 'oH} I think
could be interpreted as "Where is it the bathroom"  in the sense of
"at what location would 'it' be (become, serve as) the bathroom."

--
Qang qu'wI'

Back to archive top level