tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 11 04:02:49 2007

jop 'ej way'

Jonathan Webley ([email protected])

ja' Quvar:
> Source: KGT p. 115: Idioms, nr. 12: jop 'ej way'

> "In using the the expression, the appropriate verbal affixes are attached:
for example,

> {wIjoppu' 'ej wIway'pu'} ("We have lunged and we have deflected") -- that
is, "We have

> had an argument")."

> a) What is the object of this wI-? Maybe the sword, but this not mentioned
in the english > translation.

> b) Or is this a mistake? like somwhere else is written {wI'oj} meaning "we
are thirsty."

{jop} means lunge or thrust. In fencing, a lunge is a type of step directed
toward the opponent and in English would not take an object. Though,
implicitly, a lunge includes a thrust, and you might say "I lunged with my
dagger". A thrust is the action of moving the blade towards the opponent,
and the object would be the weapon.

So I guess {vIjop} means "I thrust it", "it" being my weapon. {DIjop} would
be "We thrust them" (our weapons). {wIjop} is "We thurst it"; which does not
make sense in English (unless the weapon is something huge like a battering
ram).

{way'} means parry or deflect a lunge. So {vIway'} would mean "I parry it"
and the object would be either the opponent's thrust or the opponent's
weapon. In boxing or karate a parry would be made with the arm or leg.
{wIway'} would be "We parry it", which again does not make much sense in
English.

Jon

Back to archive top level