tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 30 10:02:58 2007

Re: vaghleS Qu' chu' vISuq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 10:45 AM Wednesday 5/30/2007, Doq wrote:

>vaghleS pIn chu' yaH chu je vISuq. yejHaD vItoy'. 'ay' law' ghaj.

I like your choice of {toy'} "serve" for "work for someone or someplace",
and when I checked my notes I saw that we have canon supporting this use of
the verb:

   wo' toy'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
   To die while serving the Empire is the hope of every Klingon. TKW

   tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Datoy'mo' pInaD
   Because you serve the Klingon Language Institute, we commend you. FMC

This makes for a nice variation with {vum} "work, toil":

   yejHaD vItoy'.
   I work for (I serve) the Institute.  (affiliation or employment)

   yejHaDDaq jIvum.
   I work (am working) at the Institute.  (actual location)

Hmm... Does that mean that Klingons think of employees as {toy'wI'pu'}
"servants"?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons