tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 10 16:56:10 2007

{tuQ} (was Re: KLBC: Some more clueless questions)

ja' lay'tel SIvten:

> It would have been better for Okrand to gloss {tuQ} as "be dressed".

Perhaps, but then it might have seemed like a verb of quality like
{tIn} "be big", and the potential for indicating what was being worn
or taken off would have been gone.

We have a similar situation with the verb {Qong} "sleep", which could
have been glossed as "be asleep" with no significant change in how we
understand it except for the possibility for misusing it in an
adjectival sense.  Also, it took an explicit answer from Marc Okrand
before everyone was satisfied that the secondary "be in motion" gloss
of the verb {vIH} "move" was intended to clarify that it was the
*subject* changing its position, and that we shouldn't infer that it
was a verb of quality that could be used in a {law'}/{puS}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level